Monday, January 23, 2012

How am I going to do this?

So it seems that word is spreading about my little walk, which is AWESOME!  It's also starting to put the pressure on me to get planning which is also AWESOME!  The truth is though, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.  I'm not a long haul backpacker, I'm not a through hiker, hell I'm not even much of a camper!  So I'm stuck at ground zero of my planning stage trying to figure out what to do.

Part of me wants to just make the "how I'm supposed to do this" thing part of the journey and learn as I go.  But then there is the other part of me that definitely wants to come out the other end of this thing whole and intact.  I actually think it would be the most genuine of an effort if I just started walking and allowed destiny to take its course.  I think that method is the most "true" way to accomplish my goal.  My goal is (just in case you missed it) to walk from my house (or a Summer Camp I used to work at...see details) to Pennsic and along the way to try to help as many people as I can.  Of course the other part of my brain (the sane part) has some concerns:

1. How am I going to get there?
This question is the hardest and easiest at the same time.  As far as transportation goes, I'm walking. Problem solved.  I've pretty much resolved not to take any rides.  I feel like the whole route needs to be covered by foot to keep in the spirit of a "pilgrimage."  That and I have trust issues.  The hard part is figuring out what route to take.  I want to take a route that could potentially put me in contact with those who would need and accept my help but not put myself in too much danger.  I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to end up somewhere where they wouldn't take kindly to a nutter dressed like a knight poking about.  I've considered walking the Appalachian trail for a piece of the journey but fitting with the theme of this post, I'm undecided.


2. What should I carry?
I don't have a ton of experience with Trekking (hiking for days at a time.)  There's no way I'm going to get a ton of experience in trekking by the time I go out on my Trek.  I have come to terms with this.  Luckily I have a father who has had more than his fair share of experience taking long hikes and he has passed down all of his old gear to me.  I mean ALL of his old gear.

I'm talking stuff from the late 70's and early 80's.  All of it is in perfect working condition so that doesn't help me figure out what not to take.  Obviously I wouldn't want to take a broken stove but he gave me around 5 working ones.  All of various sizes, shapes, btu's etc.  Doing the research to figure out which one to take  has been almost enough to write Master's thesis on camping stoves.  Basically, I've decided to take the little Olympus 8R because it has the most btu's for the smallest size.


But that is only the tip of the iceberg.  What pots and pans do I take?  How many pairs of socks should I roll out with?  Do I need a toothbrush?  These are the problems I'm currently grappling with.


3. How do I help people without freaking them out?
So you're minding your own business and all of a sudden a hobo dressed like a knight asks you if there is anything he could help you with.  How do you react to that?  Naturally you throw your coffee at him and run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.


So what do I do to keep myself from getting drenched in coffee on a semi-regular basis?  I'm a pretty personable guy in normal situations.  I think I am above average when it comes to having positive social interactions with people I don't know but what about when I haven't changed clothes in a while and I smell like I've had a face full of coffee everyday for the past week?


I've thought about making some business cards that describe what I'm doing and why.  The card could also direct the people I help to this blog so they can keep track of me after I leave them. 




That's a pretty incomplete list of all the stuff I'm worried about with this trip.  Obviously, I've got a lot of thinking to do.

4 comments:

  1. Whoohoo! I saw the dates after getting excited about it and thought the idea was abandoned.
    There's all kinds of nifty camping gear out there. Thinkgeek actually has some cool stuff. To save on weight, you can buy packs of paper shampoo, soap, and such. They don't make much actual product, but they are an option.
    There are also some soft foldable bowls and cups which would weigh less than your typical one and take up less space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send me an inventory of what you got to choose from for gear, or post it on here. The 8R is a good choice. Some of us have a good bit of experience with this, and a couple even have ties to hobos. We can give you some ideas and advice.

    Some thing to consider is arranging a cache or two along your route, map out vendors where you can restock on supplies that you can't pick up at the convenience stores or truck stops, and way points.

    Caches are important for resupply & replacement of things that are normally considered durable goods; like your pack, bed roll, boots, socks, etc. They also include emergency stashes of food & safe water (or the means to purify it), and in those cases where such things matter weapons & ammo (You shouldn't need it, just my background). It's best to place a cache with friends along your route who will also be acting as way points for you.

    Way Points are the places and people you check in with to do many important things with regards to your journey. First and foremost, they're where you stop and let people inspect you, to ensure you are SAFE to continue your journey, to inform others along your path that you are indeed alive and well, to inform you of conditions along your route that may force you to make changes in your route or your timing. Second, they are places and people with whom you can seek shelter when needed, camaraderie with those who share your beliefs, and security and encouragement in numbers.

    Each of your chosen way points should be with those you trust, whether that be with friends in a town along the way, the pastor of the church in town, or the local parks & recreation department, or game warden (US Forest Service & Parks Service are the absolute best), or even the local sheriff (they get a little confused at times). Make sure that each of your way points has a hard copy of your route, pictures of you in the garb or clothes you expect to be wearing along the way, your emergency contact information, emergency medical information (known health issues, doctor & insurance info, list of current prescriptions, etc.), contact info for each of the other way points along your route, and when you expect to be arriving at their location.

    Now that you have a mind expansion headache, this should keep you busy for awhile. It's just the voice of experience from an old Atlantean, who venture forth from Hidden Mountain.

    Good travels to you, and don't forget the immodium. ;)

    In service,

    Ld Russell O'the Bushes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about having "waypoints." That's a great idea. I'm going to post this up on the Armour Archive and see If I can't get some help planning my route from the boys on there. Maybe I could make my waypoints the houses of knights and get some bonus training in before the war.

      I had also thought about having a buddy drive ahead of me each day and check on me periodically during the day.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to spend some QT with this site:
    http://www.trailquest.net/thruhike.html#AT%20Map

    ReplyDelete